Breakfast Tacos

Let's discuss for a minute the beauty that is breakfast for dinner.  I beam at the thought of this morning meal in the pm hours.  In fact you could give me breakfast anytime of the day, or even all day for that matter, and I'd be a happy camper.  See J, I am easy to please, despite what you think....

I'm always looking for different ways to incorporate breakfast during supper.  Our go to's are usually bacon and eggs, pancakes or frittatas, but today I'm doing tacos.  Yes, that's right, breakfast tacos!



Over the course of the last few weeks my kids have been begging for tacos at dinner.  Truth is I've had my fair share lately, albeit I consume them at restaurants sans children and usually fish style.  So today I decided to give in to their request and make tacos, but in a slightly unconventional approach.  Breakfast style.  Eggs, avocado, black beans and salsa.  Delicious!

Breakfast for dinner, yes please!






Breakfast Tacos


Ingredients:
8 large eggs
1 large russet potato; peeled, grated, and squeezed dry
1/2 cup onion, diced
19oz black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
1 cup salsa
1 avocado, pitted and diced
8 flour tortillas
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish 


Method:
Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and scatter prepared potatoes evenly in pan.  Cook for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.  Flip and cook on the opposite side for another 5 minutes.
In small bowl whisk together eggs and salt and pepper.  Add to pan with cooked potatoes and stirring for approximately 2 minutes.  Add cheese and cook for an additional minute till eggs are set.
Meanwhile in medium non-stick skillet over medium heat melt 1/2 tablespoon butter.  Add onion and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally until softened.  Add in salsa and beans and heat over low heat for 2 minutes.
To assemble:  add egg mixture to tortillas and top with salsa.  Sprinkle with avocado and garnish cilantro if using.

Yields: 8 tacos
slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine

Comments

  1. Yum! I totally adore breakfast tacos, and you are so right that breakfast for dinner is absolutely great - somehow just magically a hit with everyone! I love how you styled these shots with the toothpicks perfectly positioned to gracefully hold the tacos closed - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! I too adore breakfast tacos, burritos and yes, even quesadillas, they are a perfect way to start or end the day. Cheers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts