Springtime in YYC

photo courtesy: Ontario Farm Fresh

Asparagus means spring has sprung, so to speak.  Spring also means I'm going to once again resume my favourite past time, perusing all the local farmers markets.  In all honesty, I could spend the better half of any Sunday (or pretty much any day) looking at fresh baked breads and picking up as many fruits and vegetables that I'm able to haul out on my own.  My dream day, indeed.

So because we are in the thick of asparagus season, I'm in need of multiple ways prepare it.  I've already fire-grilled it, roasted it with balsamic and almonds, and served it with a poached egg.  
Looks like it's time to break out the 'big guns.'  Garlic and bread.  It just so happens that these are two of my favourite things, also something that I always have in my pantry.  So it goes with out saying, that paired alongside some fresh asparagus, this side dish is bound to disappear in record time.  Garlicky goodness.

I love springtime in YYC!






Garlic Roasted Asparagus w/ Panko Bread Crumbs


Ingredients:
2 lbs asparagus
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt & fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Method:
Preheat oven to 425.
Bend asparagus gently until it breaks at a natural point, discard ends.
Place prepared asparagus in large baking dish,and toss with 1 tablespoon of oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. 
In small bowl combine the breadcrumbs with remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Sprinkle evenly over top of stalks.
Bake for 15-20 (depending on thickness of stalks) minutes, until tender crisp and breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
Remove from oven.  Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.  Serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Comments

  1. That one we'll try for sure--We just love aspargus---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonderful! let me know how you enjoy it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts