Roasted Red Pepper & Asparagus Lasagna

Last night I had a dream I was stranded in a grocery store.  Hmm, come to think about it, that might not be so bad after all.   A foodies paradise.  So, should the opportunity to become stranded/live in a grocery store ever present itself, you will be able to find me stationed in two aisles. 
1. Cereal 
2. Produce
Of course given my #1 choice, I'd also have to swing by the dairy section for some milk.  But aside from than that, I'd be one happy camper. 

You might be thinking to yourself,  "cereal, that makes sense.  But produce, really?  What about the candy aisle, the bread section, ice cream?"  What can I say, I'm a girl that loves fruits and vegetables (my parents would be so proud.)  And, as far as veggies are concerned, there are 3 staples that make it into my cart every week without question.  Curious?
  • Beets
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Mixed Greens
I'm smitten with these guys.  I make trips to multiple stores, just to ensure my pantry is stocked.  J loves this quality about me, I'm sure...
So, while perusing my second favourite aisle, two other veggies caught my eye.  Bright, bold, and vibrant, give it up for red peppers and asparagus.  Now to put them to use...

Lasagna is one of those dishes that I usually save for the colder months.  Given it's spring, (insert excited screech now) I decided to springify my regular recipe.  Swapping out the meat and tomato sauce, opting instead, for fresh vegetables, goat cheese, and a homemade red pepper sauce.  Spring appropriate indeed.  Let the mercury rise! 






Roasted Red Pepper & Asparagus Lasagna


Ingredients:
roasted red pepper sauce
6 red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
1 head of garlic, peeled & whole cloves
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh basil
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil & drained
salt & pepper

lasagna
4 cups roasted red pepper sauce
12 lasagna noodles (oven ready)
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
500g ricotta cheese
140g  goat cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
salt & pepper
                            
Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Place peppers, onion and garlic cloves into a 9' x 13' baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
Roast for 45-55 minutes, until soft and caramelized.
Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend roasted vegetables and sun-dried tomatoes.  Add basil, and salt & pepper to taste.  Should yield approximately 4 cups of sauce.


In a large pot of boiling water, blanch asparagus for 1 min. Transfer to ice bath.  Drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F.   

In a bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, goat cheese, basil and salt & pepper.
In a saucepan, add cream and whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 8-10 to minutes,  or until thickened.  Whisk in roasted red pepper sauce and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.  Heat thru.  Set aside 1 1/2 cups of sauce in a small bowl.


To assemble:  Line baking dish with 1 cup of sauce.  Arrange 4 noodles over top, breaking to fit. Layer half of remaining sauce, half of the cut asparagus, half of ricotta cheese mixture and half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with layer of noodles, sauce, asparagus and cheeses. Top with 4 more noodles and reserved sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.  Allow to sit for 15 minutes prior to serving.


**note:  I typically make my lasagna a day ahead and reheat covered @ 350 for 65-70 minutes (uncovered for the last 10-15).  Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting.

Comments

  1. Hi there - only just remembered that you gave me the link to this pasta dish in comment on the pasta teaser post - have now linked it in to the Food on Friday for you. We have a great collection of pasta and noodle dishes - do stop by to see it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts