Healthy Chips

Before I had kids (and was a lot younger) I had the eating habits of a boy (yes, boy) in his late teens/early twenties.  Fast food and potato chips could have been classified as their own food group.  What can I say I use to despise cooking.  The drive thru or chain restaurants always seemed more appealing.    And, who doesn't want a huge plate of french fries to wash down that burger? 

As far as potato chips were concerned.  No bag was safe.  If it was opened, it was consumed. In its entirety.  That day.  I loved the salty, crunchy bites of delight.  I loved all the flavours.  Ripple w/ onion dip, ketchup, mexican chili, bbq, I could go on.  I was a chip-o-holic.
Fast forward years later.  Gone are the days spent in the drive thru line and bags of deep fried potatoes.  I still enjoy burgers, fries and chips.  But now I make them myself.  Opting for lean meats and baking not frying the potatoes.  Equally as satisfying, not processed, and healthy to boot.  Sorry McD's and Wendy's, I'm certain my new lifestyle probably dipped in to some of your profits...




Baked Potato Chips


Ingredients:
2 medium russet potatoes
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
black pepper
coarse salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 425F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Using mandolin, slice potatoes (skins on) 1/8 inch thick. 
Toss sliced potatoes in bowl with olive oil.  Transfer to prepared baking sheets in a single layer.  Sprinkle with salt & pepper
Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on parchment paper.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts