Fried Bananas


Oh the weather outside is frightful...
...seriously, the weather outside is brutal, not frightful, BRUTAL!  Is Mother Nature is in a funk?  Perhaps she just woke up on the wrong side of the bed...3 mornings in row?  Snap out of it already.
It could be worse I'm sure.  At least I'm employed by 3 & 2 year olds, which means staying indoors and avoiding -40 temps all together.  Boom.  I know you're jealous.
Given our less than perfect weather, last night made for the perfect Mexican themed dinner party.  A build-your-own fajita bar, complete with all the fixings.  Guacamole, refried beans, chips & salsa.  Delicious, this should become a weekly occurrence.  If nothing else, at least dinner resembled Mexico.  The ice build up on my windows tells me we aren't even close to the equator, but hey, guacamole has the ability to fix any problem.  Right?
In keeping with the Mexican theme, dessert featured fried bananas and ice cream.  Mmm.  All thanks to the creative mind of my cousin and dinner guest 'AS'.  If you've never had fried bananas you are missing out.  You need to try them ASAP.  In fact I'm almost 100% certain that I never want a plain banana again.  I'm hanging up my skinny jeans and going back for seconds.

Fried Bananas w/ Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 bananas, sliced (1/4-1/2" thick rounds)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 cups vanilla ice cream

Method:
In large skillet melt butter over medium heat.  Add in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Allow to sugar mixture to dissolve into butter.  Add in cut bananas and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Place 1/2 cup of ice cream into 4 ramekins and divide banana mixture equally over top.  Sprinkle cinnamon over top of ice cream.  Enjoy! 

Serves: 4

**note: bananas should be a little on the firm side, you don't want to use ripe ones.

Comments

Popular Posts