Salt Dough Ornaments


Last year I decided to make some homemade ornaments for our tree.  I love ornaments, and I love ornaments with a sentimental value even more.  


Below is the recipe for salt dough ornaments.
Ornaments.
Not cookies.  
My kids are convinced that we have delicious sugar cookies hanging from the tree, unfortunately for them and me, that isn't the case.
Enjoy making these with your family.

xo.

Salt Dough Ornaments


Ingredients:
1 cup salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 - 1 cup  tepid water

Method:
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Knead until dough becomes soft and elastic adding more water if necessary.  Let dough rest for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 250F
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4" - 1/2" thickness.  Cut out shapes, using your favourite cookie cutters.  Make a small hole (be sure to go all the way through) at the top of each ornament.
Bake for approximately 2 hours, depending on the size of your ornaments.  Allow to cool completely before painting.
If desired, use acrylic paint to 'jazz up' your ornaments.  (I prefer simplicity so I left as is)  Once paint has dried spray with polyurethane.  Allow to dry.  Hang ornament on tree with your favourite ribbon or twine.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. Hi there! Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and let you know that we've added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard! These are so sweet - I remember making them as a kid. And I love your doggie. I'm a human to a yellow lab as well. Whole handful of trouble ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts