Christmas Oranges



Now that I've bought my first box of Christmas oranges, I figured today was as good of day as ever to eat as many as possible.  I'm currently on number four at the moment, and it's only 1 o'clock.  I predict a couple more of these gems will have their fate sealed before the sun sets.
In addition to eating them straight up.  I make sure that each one I peel comes off in one piece (I'm a nerd like that.) I decided that a couple of these lucky oranges were going to become a delicious accompaniment to a bowl of couscous.  The sweetness from the oranges and cranberries mixed with the flavour of the onion was great on the palate.  No complainants here.

I love Mandarins!  Orange you glad it's Christmas time...


Couscous w/ Mandarin Oranges, Red Onions and Dried Cranberries


Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
3/4 cup no-salt added chicken broth
2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
1/4 red onion, julienned
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp pure orange extract

Method:
Bring chicken broth to a boil over high heat.  Add in couscous.  Stir.  Cover.  Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork.  Transfer to large bowl, stir in oranges, cranberries, and walnuts, set aside
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine olive oil and orange extract.  Set aside.
In large non-stick skillet over medium heat cook onion until tender approx 3-5 minutes.  Transfer onion to bowl with couscous and toss with olive oil mixture.   
Enjoy!
Serves 2

Comments

Popular Posts