s'mores cookies | campfire favourite


Yesterday marked our 2nd annual book club cookie swap.  If there is any tradition as of late that has become a favourite, it's this one.  Last year, I opted to make a traditional shortbread cookie dipped in white chocolate.  Shortbread to me screams 'holidays.'  I put the flaky, buttery, cookie right up there with rum balls, as a Christmas must.  This year I decided to try something different.  I've been on a bit of a mini marshmallow kick (obsession) these last couple weeks.  So when I stumbled upon this recipe for s'mores cookies, I knew that this would perfect to try out @ the swap.  Graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows, married with the classic chocolate chip cookie.  Okay, twist my arm I'll give it a go.  This was a Christmas miracle.  Two desserts one mouthful.  Done.



I experimented a bit with the melting of the marshmallows on this cookie.  I opted to have some marshmallows that almost disappeared into the cookie. And others, where they barely melted at all.  My preference?  The melted marshmallows.  They gave the cookie a sugary/crusty/chewy top.  Yum.  But who is kidding who, I like them both ways.  This is one recipe that will be made again.  (J insists on this actually, since I ended up giving ours away.  Luckily for him I swapped them for some other delicious varieties, so he'll survive!) 


This years cookie exchange was a success.  Although when you think about it, friends, cookies, and a little Christmas cheer, how could you possibly go wrong?  Christmas baking is now complete.  I'm happy to share, so come on over! 


S'mores Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups miniature chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
2 chocolate bars (hersey or jersey milk), chopped



Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt. Whisk together. In a separate larger bowl beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes, and remove from the oven. Push 3 to 4 marshmallows and a few pieces of chocolate bar into each cookies. Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-4 minutes until fully cooked. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.


Two Peas and their Pod - recipe

book club 2011 cookie exchange



Comments

Popular Posts