Spooky Cookies | Chocolate Sugar Cookies



 Since Halloween falls on the Monday this year, it seems like our entire weekend was dedicated to all things Halloween.  2 parties down, and it isn't even actually the big day yet.  My little guy was headed to another party this afternoon.  In what I would consider, the coolest costume ever.  He is a 'Lightening McQueen' race car driver.  Seriously, beyond cute, I could just eat him up.  I'm glad we aren't in the stage (yet) where he wants to be a zombie or Freddie Krueger.  Instead, he's still my cute little boy, and I'm holding on to this with clenched fists.
I never like showing up to places or parties empty handed.  So today, I decided to make chocolate sugar cookies.  The perfect back drop for black cats and skeletons.  L was pretty stoked that he would be able to share these cookies with his friends.  Or maybe it was that without me present, it's unclear how many cookies he was going to pound back.  The kid can eat.

Happy day before Halloween peeps!



Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups flour 
3 oz melted semi sweet chip-its

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper set aside.
In a large bowl (or kitchenaid artisan mixer), cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Add in melted chocolate.
In separate bowl combine baking powder and flour.  Add one cup at a time to butter mixture, mixing after each addition. 
Divide dough in 2 portions.
On a floured** surface, roll each portion to 1/4" thickness.  Dip cookie cutter in flour before use.  Cut out shapes. 
Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes depending on size.
Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating with frosting and candies. 
**in order to avoid white flour marks on your cookies, mix flour with unsweetened cocoa powder, and use this mixture to flour your work surface.
(
slightly adapted from wilton)

Comments

  1. Hey Jen, These are too cute!! I love the gingerbread man cookie cutter, turned skeleton. Great idea! You should pop by and see the candy corn sugar cookies I made. I think they're pretty cute too. Happy Halloween!

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts