Cinnamon-Sugar Whole Wheat Scones


My love affair with scones continues.  Why are they so freakin' good?  I can't take it anymore.  I wish the universe would stop trying to 'test' my willpower.  You win, I concede.  Now if you could just make scones taste bad, I'd be better off for it.
I'm afraid the universe hasn't answered my call.  I even tried using whole wheat flour, no salt, and no chocolate, and they still came out warm, flaky and irresistible.  Grrr.  Until next time universe...


Cinnamon-Sugar Whole Wheat Scones

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp butter
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk

milk, cinnamon & sugar for brushing

Method:
Preheat oven to 375.  Line baking sheets with silpat mat or parchment paper.  Set aside.
In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.  Cut in butter.
In separate bowl combine buttermilk and egg.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir to combine. 
Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 5-10 times.
Pat out to form a circle 1 1/4-inch thick, cut into 8 equal segments.

In small bowl mix together a few teaspoons of sugar, dash of cinnamon and some milk to make a glaze. 
Transfer scones to prepared baking sheets, and brush with milk mixture.  Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Best enjoyed fresh & warm from the oven.  Love, JS


adapted from this recipe

Comments

Popular Posts