My First Attempt @ Indian Food.


When I first started this blog, I only shared it with family.  Something about sharing recipes, and my inner thoughts with the world scared me.  Good thing I got over that.  My family was also super supportive and even helped me out with potential recipe suggestions. 
My Aunt L pitched the idea of croissants, after returning from a recent trip to Paris.  Great idea!  Too bad they didn't turn out, not even a little bit.  I'm leaving these pastries to the expert bakeries in town or the freezer section with the dough boy.  Epic failure.  Okay, so the first suggestion from family member #1 didn't work out so well.  Let's hope suggestion #2 has a better outcome.  My Aunt S wanted to know how to make Indian Dhal.  Okay, no problem right?  I know I love Indian food.  Do I know the first thing about cooking it?  Nope, not even the slightest.  Hmmm, suggestion #2 isn't looking so good either.  Good thing I have a friend we'll call her "MU" who was sweet enough to share her dad's recipe.  Turns out you just need to know the right people.  Recipe for success.  This dish was awesome, perfectly spiced and a big hit.   Thanks MU and Poppa R.  Much appreciated.

Now that I've attempted (and succeeded) with my first Indian recipe, I'm looking forward to trying other dishes.  Perhaps some Tikka Masala or Korma.  Maybe even some naan bread is in order.  Oh, how I love this cuisine!  New found confidence.

Indian Dhal


Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 cup dhal/lentils
1 cup spinach, packed
1 tsp coarse pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
oil

Method:
Rinse dhal with cold water.  Set aside.
In medium sauce pan heat oil and add chopped onion.  Cook until they become transparent in colour, approximately 3-5 minutes
Add in 2 cups of water, dhal and spices.  Stir with wooden spoon.
Let dhal cook over medium heat for 30 minutes and add 1/2 - 1 cup of water until dhal becomes soft.
Using a hand blender or food processor, blend.  Add in spinach.
Serve w/ naan bread.
Serves: 4 (as a side dish)

Comments

Popular Posts