Quinoa Pancakes

i'm drowning my sorrows in pacakes...
I've made mention that I'm sometimes a little dramatic and over-the-top. 
So why the need to drown my sorrows in carbs and sugar?  Tonight will mark the end of Entourage.  I know, I know...it's only a show.  I can buy the previous seasons on itunes and continue to watch them repeatedy (trust me I will.)  But it won't be the same.  I need my Ari Gold & Vincent Chase fix.  It's what makes a Sunday, a Sunday.  Well that, and pancakes.  I've still got my pancakes, and I refuse to give those up.  What would I be left with?  Today, pancake batter will be my Kleenex as I sniffle away at the end of a great series (drama queen much?)  Now on to the pancakes....

Last week's chocolate & bacon waffles are what I would consider indulgent.  Although I would love to eat them daily and at all meals (oh, snacks too), that can't happen.  My pants would no longer fit.  So this weeks pancake is a healthy one.  You know, to balance things out.  It's still a pancake so you know its going to be good, don't be dismayed by the 'healthy' caption.  I promise, I wouldn't let you down, more importantly, I wouldn't let myself down.
These hotcakes are made with quinoa, a super food.  A good source of protein, fiber and iron.  Yep.  That's right, dig into that stack of carb-filled goodness and feel good doing it.  Eat them all!  Today is a day consumed by emotional eating.

So long Vince & Ari, see you at the movies!  You are making an Entourage movie, right?  If not, I'll start a petition.  Where's my pen?

swoon
double swoon

Quinoa Pancakes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cooked quinoa

Method:
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and quickly whisk.  Do not over mix.  Fold in quinoa
Heat a griddle over medium-hot heat.  Drop batter in 1/4 cup portions.  Cook until bubbles begin to break through, 2-3 minutes.  Turn and cook on the other side for an additional minute, or until nicely browned.  Repeat with remaining batter.
Top with yogurt and fresh fruit or fruit preserves


Yields: 7-8 pancakes
I enjoyed mine topped with vanilla yogurt & blueberries

J & the kids, went the strawberry jam route

adapted slightly from NY Times

Comments

Popular Posts