Homemade Creamed Corn

Despite having a pantry filled with canned creamed corn (courtesy of the tall green guy), I decided to take it upon myself to attempt a homemade version.  I'm a big fan of corn, especially the creamed variety.  Ahhh.  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  Creamed corn IS comfort food to me, pretty much on the same level as bowl of mashed potatoes (yes, a bowl, don't judge.)  I get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I eat the stuff, and given the chilly temperature today, I needed the warmth!

Don't get me wrong the canned variety is enjoyed by one and all in this house and will continue to be a go-to quick side dish.  However, today presented itself with some 'found' time, so there you have it, void filled.  Truth be told this is actually a very simple dish to make (not as easy as the can opener approach I'm used to, but hey it's a close second.) so I still have extra time to spare.  I guess I'll put my feet up for a little bit.  I love afternoons like this.
 
I feel like I should issue a small disclaimer before you read the recipe below...so here it goes.  Do Not be turned off by the use of low-fat milk instead of heavy cream.  I promise this in no way comprises the richness or creaminess of the dish.  Instead this is achieved through a pureed mixture and a little cornstarch.  On the plus...a little sugar and cheese lends some great flavour to this grain.  You can feel less guilty about going back for seconds, even thirds.  I'm not here to judge.  Just to make you happy.  Did it work?

Comfort has been achieved (at least in my books.)  Enjoy!


 

Homemade Creamed Corn

 
Ingredients:
3 cups fresh corn kernels, divided
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
white pepper to taste

Method:
Place 2 cups corn, milk, cornstarch and sugar in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan, and add the remaining 1 cup corn. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture simmers and thickens and the corn is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in shaved Parmesan and white pepper.  Serve hot.

Yields: 4 servings
adapted from eating well

Comments

Popular Posts