Black Beans & Rice

I bought black beans with the complete intent of using them to make healthy brownies (well, healthier brownies.)  However, this week has already seen it's share of sweets, so that idea has been scratched and will be attempted at a later date. 
Now I'm left with a can of beans without a purpose.  Poor thing.  Looks like they will become dinner instead.  Hmmm, from chocolatey goodness, to dinner.  I wonder how the beans feel about that?  What a silly question, beans don't have feelings.  A better question is how do I feel about this? 
In all honesty I love beans, so I'll survive.  Tonight, I'm throwing them in with some brown rice, corn, onions and spices and calling it an easy supper.  I love dishes like this.  All of my scraps from the week get thrown into one dish.  No waste and easy to prepare!  Especially, since I'm feeling unmotivated and sticky hot at this moment.   Perhaps a beer & ice cream float  is in order!  Yes, ice cream makes everything better...so does beer!


Black Beans & Rice

Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked & rinsed in cold water
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, low-sodium
1 can (540 ml) no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 tsp cumin
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped

Method:
In saucepan bring rice and chicken stock to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender.  Fluff with fork.
While rice is cooking, add olive oil to non-stick skillet and cook onions till tender.  Approximately 5 minutes.  Add in garlic and spices, cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add in corn and beans, and heat till warmed through 2-3 minutes.
Combine cooked rice and bean mixture in large bowl.  Garnish with fresh chives. 

Serve & Enjoy!
Yields: 2 servings + leftovers (main dish) or 4 servings + leftovers (side dish)

Comments

Popular Posts