Lemons and Blueberries.

Is there anything that shouts summer more than lemons and blueberries?  Nope.  That pretty much sums it up in my books.  These two flavours are meant to be together.  The sweetness of the blueberries, mixed with the tart lemon flavour is as refreshing as running through a sprinkler.  And, what better way to show off how these two fruits compliment one another than in a quick bread.
Introducing...Lemon-Blueberry-Almond Loaf.  Wow, that's a mouthful.  A delicious mouthful.

I was inspired to bake this bread today, as I heard July was national blueberry month.  Upon further investigation (and loaf baked, I should add) I found out that it's true for the USA, only the USA.  Us Canadians celebrate the berry in August.  Why?  Just to be different I suppose.  Looks like I jumped the gun.  Oh well, it's not a lost cause (no baked good ever is,) so look forward to another blueberry recipe coming soon!

Back to the bread...
The final destination of this loaf is going to the in-laws.  I'm lucky enough, to have our immediate family living in the same city.  Not only does this make for frequent family dinners and get togethers, it also means...Free Babysitting!!  I take full advantage of this, and when a "thank you" won't cut it, I like to show my appreciation with baked goods.  This is one of those times - hope they enjoy it!
LOVE,
JS 

Lemon-Blueberry-Almond Loaf


Ingredients:
Bread:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp lemon zest
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen; i used frozen) + 2Tbsp
3/4 cup almonds, sliced

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp lemon zest

Method:
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly butter 9-by-5 inch loaf pan.
Mix first five ingredients in large bowl.  Add in almonds.  In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, yogurt, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Fold into the dry mixture until just combined.  Add blueberries last, gently fold in.
Spread batter into prepared pan.  Top with additional 2 Tbsp of blueberries.  Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.  Cool 30 minutes in pan on a rack, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
To make glaze whisk all ingredients together.  Pour onto the cooled bread.  Let set, 15 to 20 minutes.

ENJOY!!
I'm off to deliver the goods...

(note: I used the same 'base' for this recipe as can be found in the carrot bread with hazelnuts and coconut)

Comments

Popular Posts