Sweet Potato Biscuits w/ Maple Butter


Maple Butter.  
These two words have me falling over myself at the moment.  I was given a tub last night as a gift from my Aunt L. who is visiting from the east coast.  Knowing my adoration of maple syrup, she surprised me with maple butter from Nova Scotia.  Let me tell you this stuff is awesome, addictive and quite possibly life changing.  I couldn't wait to go to bed just so I could wake up and have breakfast.  This morning I had it on a slice of toast.  Upon finishing it, I came to the conclusion that it would be even better when paired with a sweet potato biscuit.  Sweet potatoes and maple syrup go together like Batman and Robin (they too, are a dynamic duo).  I'm happy to report the combination was killer and I was 100% correct.  The warm, light biscuit with sweetened butter was the PERFECT mid-morning snack. 
For those of you that don't currently have a tub of maple butter in your fridge (which I suspect will be me in a months time...or at this rate, sooner) I included a recipe on how to make your own.
Enjoy!



Sweet Potato Biscuits

Ingredients:
4 cups self rising flour cups
2 tablespoons sugar (heaping)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup pureed cooked sweet potatoe
1 cup cold butter, unsalted
1 1/4 cup buttermilk 

maple butter for serving (this is essential)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Sift together flour, sugar, and baking powder. 
In a separate, large bowl, mix the sweet potatoes and buttermilk. Add butter to flour mixture and cut in with pastry blender until mixture resembles pea sized crumbs. 
Add milk and combine until mixture just comes together. 
Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead 4-5 times. Roll the dough out to 1-inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Place the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet with sides touching. 
Bake for about 17-20 minutes.

serve warm with maple butter.
yields approximately 15


Maple Butter

Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real kind)

Method:
Combine butter and maple syrup in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.  Beat with paddle attachment until light and fluffy
Spoon into jars, cover and refrigerate
Yield: 3/4 cup

Comments

Popular Posts