Homemade Pop Tarts


Certain things have a tendency to remind me of my youth and make me feel like a kid all over again. Freezies, jumping rope, ice cream cones on a hot day, and Pop Tarts are just a few of the things that have this effect on me.
POP TARTS, these delicious store bought pastries were a rare occurrence in the "M"-Household, generally reserved for sleepovers with friends or camping trips. I think that's why they resonate with me so well, great memories had. I always ate them cold, never warmed up, and usually ate the edges of the crust first, reserving in my opinion, the best part last - the fruit filling.

On a recent trip to the grocery store, I found myself down the same aisle as these treats and somehow they ended up in my cart. I'd like to blame someone else, like maybe one of the kids or my husband, but well you know.... Anyways, after getting them home and ripping open the package, I was happy to see that I still enjoyed them as much as ever. But it got me thinking that in growing up, so to have my tastes. Why not put an adult spin on a childhood favourite and make them fancier? Here's how it goes...

There are 3 major components that make a good 'tart'
1. Pastry
This is essential. You can use your favourite recipe or if you want to simplify things go with the store bought variety. I'm lucky enough to have been brought in on my GM's secret recipe (which is locked away in the vault), so this is how I choose to make them. Thanks GM!
2. The filling
Here is where the possibilities are endless: fruit, cinnamon-sugar, smores, peanut butter & jam (I'm trying this one next), pumpkin....let your imagination run wild. For this go round, I've opted for a blueberry, raspberry, pomegranate filling in one, and a brown sugar-cinnamon in the 2nd.
3. Glaze
Simple to make, yet huge impact all around. Oh, and what Pop Tart isn't complete without sprinkles (there is the kid in me again!)

Enjoy these little wonders of indulgence and get creative. Also, don't be afraid to stuff them full of the filling of your choice. I was a little shy on the filling in this attempt, mostly out of fear that the filling would escape and run a mess. Not the case.





Homemade Pop Tarts


INGREDIENTS

Pastry - courtesy Martha Stewart

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
8 ounces (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Fruit Filling

3/4 cup jam (any flavour)
1tbsp cornstarch
1tbsp water

Brown Sugar-Cinnamon Filling

1/2cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp flour

Glaze

1/2 cup icing sugar
4tsp milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional; but delicious on the brown sugar Pop Tarts)

sprinkles


METHOD
To make dough:
1.Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor until combined. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add water in a slow, steady stream until mixture just begins to hold together.
2.Shape dough into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour to 2 days (or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator before using).

To make cinnamon-sugar filling: Whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside

To make fruit filling: Mix cornstarch with cold water. In a small saucepan combine cornstarch/water mixture with jam. Bring to a boil, simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Allow to cool completely.

To assemble/bake: Remove dough from fridge. On lightly floured surface roll out first dough to 9 x 12 rectangle. Cut into thirds. Repeat with 2nd dough.
In the middle of each rectangle, place a heaping spoonful of either filling, be sure to leave a clean 1/2" border. Place 2nd dough on top. Using the prongs of a fork press edges to seal and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pierce the top of each pop tart with fork to allow for the steam to escape. Repeat with remaining rectangles. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
preheat oven to 350F. bake for 20-25 minutes until golden in color. Remove and cool on rack.

To glaze: In small mixing bowl stir icing sugar with milk (and cinnamon if desired). Spread over cooled pastries, add sprinkles if desired.

EAT!!

Comments

  1. Jen--These Waffles you gave me are great--Had one this morning for breakfast and as mentioned they are fantastic-----Just make sure you save some for our main man Liam--
    Keep putting on the recipes--

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts